Friday, February 13, 2015

Por Larrañaga Encantos (ER 2010 Asia Pacifico)



Today's cigar is a 2010 regional release made exclusively for Asia Pacifico. Por Larrañaga Encantos is still available for normal consumers which is odd because normally RE cigars are popular and usually they don't stay too long in retailers humidors plus this particular CC is limited in 4000 boxes of 25 cigars. I had a chance to buy a box and no time to hesitate so the decision for me was very simple!


Brand: Por Larrañaga
Type: Encantos (2010 RE Asia Pacifico)
Vitola: Dalias
Size: 6,7"/170x43
Origin: Cuba
Box code: URG DIC 10
Box number: 2617/4000



Appearance/construction (5 points)

The presentation of the cigar is very eye-catching and by that I mean also the beautiful varnished box, and cigars lined in 8-9-8 style. In my opinion this is the most visually satisfying way to sell cigars. The Encantos itself has a smooth, little veiny claro-colorado coloured wrapper having a grip of well packed tobacco in it. On the nose I get very mild, sweet, honey-like tobacco. Construction wise the feel is equal when pressing and there are no soft spots between the wrapper and the filler. The size is also a pleasure to look at, little bit longer and fatter than lonsdale and has a golden regular and the RE band around it. Everything's looking more than good so let's light it up!

Encantos - click to enlarge
                                               (not the reviewed cigar)


Flavor (4 points)

1/3:The Encantos starts with a pleasant woody, cedary character and a little of hay also. The taste is very sweet, little oily, easy and I can't help thinking about some kind of mild christmas bread that hasn't got any spiciness to it. In my opinion this kind vitola is very stylish and idyllic and so is the flavor. Very complex and easy to smoke without any full or dark flavors. Is it a good thing? Don't know yet, let's see the second third.

2/3: The progression from the first third is very smooth and I have to pay attention if there is any. Finally I taste some leather. I've noticed that the leather usually comes in the aftertaste when I exhale through the nose with my mouth shut: That works for me also to taste different characters of whisky or other noble drinks. The bread is more dominant now, it has lost a bit of sweetness and I would say that the body is mild to medium, more on the medium side. I like this cigar..

3/3: The sweetness is totally gone but still the flavor isn't dry at all. There is more bread, especially some toasted cracker (I'm a huge cracker fan) and tobacco. There isn't much flavor but light leather in the aftertaste but every puff is still worth to smoke. Very soft, medium flavored and cool smoke. That is what you get during the last of Encantos, at least I got. In my experience one of the best last thirds!

Flavor wise Encantos is very good for an afternoon cigar although at some point I missed some kind of kick to the flavor, sweet spice or something else so therefore I can't give five points. I've heard that these age well but honestly I'm little doubtful about it because of the mild-medium blend.


Smoking experience (4,5 points)

Lonsdale or Dalias? As for vitola I prefer Dalias because of this experience which was unique. There was no problems what so ever with the burn and the draw except one touch up which was caused by an interesting chat with a co-smoker. No bitterness, no harshness, ash construction was decent and with Encantos I got almost two hours time to smoke a good cigar.


Quality-price ratio (4 points)

The price of Encantos varies depending on where you buy it from. Compared to other Asia Pacifico Regional editions this cigar is quite affordable to purchase.




Hippie's judgement

Appearance/construction: 5
Flavor: 4
Smoking experience: 4,5
Q-P ratio: 4

The average: 4,375

The final grade is 4,5!

Hippie's flavor profile: 4

http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/brand.aspx?brand=Por_Larra|naga






No comments:

Post a Comment