Friday, March 13, 2015

The battle of Epicures -No. 1

Welcome to the battle of Epicures! Hippie's first victim is the Epicure No. 1. Cutters and fire weapons get ready and burning and battle shall begin, MUAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

By the way, the quality of the pictures is terrible, sorry about that.




Brand: Hoyo de Monterrey
Type: Epicure No.1
Vitola: Corona gorda
Size: 5.6"/143mm x46
Origin: Cuba
Box Code: JUL 11











Appearance/construction (4.5 points)

Despite of the fact this Cuban soldier is going to be slowly burned alive it doesn't show any fear and looks pretty darn good:) The wrapper has some visible but tight seams on it and the cigar feels well constructed. In fact I've never had a badly constructed or overly packed Hoyo.

Epicure No.1 - click to enlarge
                                                               (not the reviewed cigar)

And off we go to crematorium..


Flavor (4 points)

1/3: Allright this isn't so mild I expected. Very medium bodied flavor, I can taste spiciness and the start is peppery. The toastiness is mixed with some cedar, pepper and spice and together the combo is very enjoyable although I can't pick up and name any specific spice. The smoke is white, thick and creamy.

2/3: The medium profile goes on with toasted bread and cedar. The pepper and spices are gone and I'm thinking if there is a somekind of floral character with sweetness. It's nice!

3/3: This has turned out to be a nice flavored stick but I think a couple of more years could bring up less edgy and more specific mellowed flavors. The final third has still the toasted, deep wood character and some dark coffee.


Smoking experience (4 points)

So, today for the first time, I experienced the method how to toast the Epicure No. 1 and I'm sure I won this battle:) The burn line, smoke production and the draw were good, not forgetting the company, but I missed something flavor wise. Maybe more progression. The Corona gorda is a great vitola and I have to try this again someday with more experience.


Quality-price ratio (3.5 points)

I think the price is pretty fair 'cause you do get a quality cuban cigar.


Hippie's judgement

Appearance/construction: 4.5
Flavor: 4
Smoking experience: 4
Quality-price ratio: 3.5

The average: 4

The final grade is 4!

Hippie`s flavor profile: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment